The Argosy

Mass Media’s Influence on Pop Culture

We all have that one grandparent that nags at the dinner table about how “cell phones are taking over the world,” and how “Snapchat is killing your brain cells.” Although we usually just nod and continue to use our various sources of media anyways, do we ever really stop to think about why their statements are wrong? Mass media is the largest influence on our society’s pop culture to date. It consists of all forms of media; whether it’s written, broadcast, or spoken. Every time we open a computer, use a cell phone, or put on the television, we are being affected by media.

Mass media is the biggest influence on our society’s pop culture to date.”

This is a positive thing, despite what our grandparents may say! We have endless outlets to make our voices heard and to find information. For instance, in the most recent presidential election mass media played a huge role. Through the use of social media and TV, celebrities and “average Joe’s” all over the country were able to share how they felt. This created an informational environment so that people everywhere can form and state their opinions on the topic. Actress Sigourney Weaver showed her support for Hillary Clinton through the televised Democratic National Convention on July 27, 2016. She said, “Hillary Clinton gets it. She cares. She’s committed. She understands that taking a stand against climate change is not about politics. It’s about our moral obligation to one another, to our children, and to the generations that will one day inherit this earth.” She used mass media to communicate her opinions to the general public. But, she’s not the only celebrity that used media as an outlet. Beyoncé and Jay-Z (no last names needed) held a concert supporting Clinton, then posted Instagram photos to share with the world their thoughts and opinions. 

Through the use of social media and TV, celebrities and “average Joe’s” all over the country were able to share how they felt.”

Newly elected President, Donald Trump, also had celebrity endorsers throughout his campaign. Scott Baio, actor from “Happy Days”, spoke at the televised Republican National Convention. He said, “”We need Donald Trump to fix this. Is Donald Trump a messiah? No, he’s just a man, a man who wants to give back to his country, America, the country that has given him everything.” Also, Gene Simmons, member of the band “Kiss”, told “Rolling Stones” magazine that Trump is “good for the political system.” Celebs are able to get their views shared through both written and broadcast media.  No matter how you feel about this particular topic, their posts and public statements through media are a form of speech; because of their celebrity status, how they feel and what they think is influential to many viewers. This is a positive factor of media, because by using it properly you can make your voice be heard. 

This is a positive factor of media, because by using it properly you can make your voice be heard. ”

Our pop culture’s body image and beauty ideals in media have been scrutinized in the past, but recently mass media has been all about influencing young girls to accept their natural look, and be confident. Dove recently started the “Real Beauty Campaign”. Guiding women to love themselves for who they are. Dove wishes to raise young girls’ self-esteem, to better their futures and themselves. This company gets their message shown through mass media. They campaign through commercials and websites. To learn more click here. By exposing this empowering campaign through various media outlets, people all around the world can view it and be exposed to it. This helps the cause significantly, because the more exposure it has, the more people will support it. Because of media-based campaigns like Dove’s, being “natural” isn’t a taboo topic anymore. Now, in our society women can feel free to have their own ideas of perfect when it comes to beauty. 

By exposing this empowering campaign through various media outlets, people all around the world can view it and be exposed to it.”

In addition, mass media also is a channel through which people can warn of the dangers of certain habits. Smoking was a major fad; from the 1920’s to the 1990’s smoking was extremely popular. Only recently, media campaigns against smoking have become prevalent. Now, because of the various media campaigns, like “The Real Cost” by the FDA, people are beginning to protest against fatal vices like cigarettes. This campaign shows individuals giving something up in order to get cigarettes; like their freedom or skin. Here is a link to one of the commercials. Also, the media is an amazing way to empower the youth. The “Above the Influence” campaign has made a series of commercials trying to enlighten young people about the dangers of abusing alcohol and drugs. In our current pop culture, we are very well aware of the dangers of smoking, drugs, and alcohol because of mass media.

the influence of mass media on pop culture has many positive factors.”

Both, “The Real Cost” and “Above the Influence” are just two examples of many movements using media to get their message through to the public. Because we are constantly surrounded by media, these types of campaigns influence our pop culture and society; when we are exposed to something so often, like the idea that smoking, drugs, and alcohol are bad for us, we cannot stay ignorant, because information and new ideologies are constantly grabbing our attention. The people taking advantage of media are better well-informed and well-aware. Thus, the influence of mass media on pop culture has many positive factors. So, next grandma scrutinizes the youth of America for using their cell phones too much or for watching too much TV, remind her that there is a lot to be learned on Twitter and from the television.