The Argosy

Being a Freshman in the Musical

Being part of the Mount theater program is one of the best parts of the year. Although coming into the program can seem daunting and scary as a freshman, it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. When coming to the Mount, I knew I wanted to participate in the productions, but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t apprehensive.

This year’s spring musical was 42nd Street, a show with a lot of dancing and musical numbers. I have been dancing for twelve years, so this made me feel a little more comfortable. I went to several of the tap workshops that were held before the audition to help us learn the dances. I met many people who would soon become not only my cast-mates, but my close friends. The audition was extremely nerve-wracking, but the support of the director and other staff members made it much less scary.

I began to worry about not making friends with any of the cast members, and I worried that the upperclassmen would ignore me just because I was the “new kid.” These worries and fears went away almost instantly when I was welcomed into the cast by some of the veterans. They taught me some tips and tricks, and I did my best to help them in any way I could. I have grown the most as a performer by watching my cast-mates shine on stage. I took what I had learned from them during rehearsals and tech week and applied it to my own performance.

The lessons I learned from being in this production are so valuable, and I encourage everyone to join the theater program. The family-like atmosphere in this theater program makes it hard to see some of the cast graduating. Though it may be intimidating at first, the friends found in this program are always there to help you onstage and off.