The Argosy: "Launched Never to Anchor"

More than Band-aids and Boo-Boos: An Interview with Mrs. Lenihan

An introduction to Ms. Lenihan, your not-so-average school nurse.

Back to Article
Back to Article

It was 2:30 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon when I meandered into Ms. Lenihan’s office, accidentally interrupting her curling her hair. She explained to me that she had somewhere to go after school and simply would not have time to touch-up. After she dolled up we sat down at her desk as I began my journey to find out who Ms. Lenihan is outside of her office and how she ended up at the Mount and with so many titles.

Throughout her 18 years at the Mount, Ms. Lenihan has proved her worth and that is much more than administering Advil, cups of water, and calls home. Not only is she the school nurse, she is the head coach of the bowling team, the health education teacher, and a chaperone for the seniors on their field trip to Disney World. But how did she end up here?

Prior to coming to the Mount, Ms. Lenihan was a single mom raising three boys, waking up at 6 a.m. every morning to go to work. She described how most nights she would not come home until 6 p.m. With watery eyes, Ms. Lenihan recounted a time one of her sons tried to lift her spirits telling her  “mom, everything’s good; I make grilled cheese sandwiches.” However, these drawn-out days would not last much longer. In the summer of 1999, a friend called telling her about an opening at Mount Saint Dominic Academy and how she needed to go down for an interview. After her interview with Sr. Fran, she was met by Sister Angelica (who Angelica Hall is named after) who told her “darling, I need you to sign these papers and you need to come…next Wednesday.” And the rest is history.

History keeps repeating itself, however, as she returns to Disney World each year with the senior class. I asked what it is really like for her to travel with over 50 girls to the happiest place on earth. “It’s fun,” she explained, “but, I don’t relax, I actually don’t sleep. I’m like half awake, half asleep until the plane hits the tarmac in Newark when we return.” Referring to the students acting less like students and more like teenagers, Ms. Lenihan responded: “I look forward to seeing…the girls so relaxed, they’re themselves.”

I don’t relax, I actually don’t sleep. I’m like half awake, half asleep until the plane hits the tarmac in Newark when we return.”

— on traveling to Disney

Another thing Ms. Lenihan looks forward to each year is bowling season. What most people do not know is that Ms. Lenihan competitively bowled on a first-place league herself at one point in time. She even managed to improve her average becoming a 166-straight bowler. But I wanted to know, how exactly did she land this position? In her very best Mr. Sozio impression, she told me that one day he called asking if she ever bowled. When she said yes, he replied: “Alright, you’re the coach of the team.” When asked to recount her most memorable coaching moment she didn’t hold back her laugh. Of the many moments, she decided it was when an individual refused to continue on with the match. The bowler looked to Ms. Lenihan and said, “but Ms. Lenihan, there is more to life than bowling.” Her response, “yes there is, but today, right now, we are bowling.”

But Ms. Lenihan is more than the Mount. She spends much of her free time with her granddaughter, Layla. Right next to the picture of her granddaughter in her office is a picture of her with friends partaking in one of her favorite pastimes: karaoke. She affirmed her love of karaoke and informed me that the picture was actually taken at the Belmar Fishing Club, where she is a member. She is most famous for her rendition of Cyndi Lauper’s “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.”

Yes, she may be the one to track you down for your sports forms and may get you out of school early with the ever-desired call home, but Ms. Lenihan is more than your average school nurse. She is also a fun, caring mom, grandmother, and friend. You can always count on her for a great life lesson, a good laugh and, of course, a solid karaoke partner.