The Argosy

Around the World with Ms. Hudd

You may know Ms.Brooke Hudd as the young, dog-loving, fun-sized psychology teacher to the juniors and seniors at the Mount. You can always count on her to tell you something interesting about why people do the things they do. You may not know that she has lived in various different countries and states including Colombia, Miami, and even Syria. In this one-on-one interview, I sat down with Ms. Hudd to ask her about how she got into psychology, the places she has lived, and her preferred style of teaching.

Before moving to New Jersey, Ms. Hudd spent her teenage years in Virginia, which she says is one of the most memorable places for her other than Syria. When I asked whether she favors Virginia or New Jersey, she responded,  “That’s a tough question. I miss Virginia a lot, because I miss my parents a lot. “There are so many cool restaurants down there and it’s right next to  D.C. where I’m from,” she continued. “But I am getting used to Jersey, lots of pizza.”

We then got into psychology and how it appeals to Ms. Hudd. She says, “I have always been interested in how people think and why they do the things they do.” When she found out that her interests could actually be studied she was pleasantly surprised. I then asked if she always knew she wanted to teach. “When I ask the teachers around me if they knew they wanted to be they tell me that they always knew, but I had no clue,” she explained.

Ms. Hudd is known for her “laid back” style of teaching and straightforward approach to education, but she is also one of the most relatable teachers. She loves Netflix, more specifically The Office, as much as her students. And what does she enjoy most when she isn’t teaching? “I like walking my dog,” she tells me. “She is so cute.”