The Argosy

Bye Bye Birdie Comes to the Mount

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bye Bye Birdie Comes to the Mount

This year, the Mount spring musical is Bye Bye Birdie and the PAC is buzzing with excitement.  Bye Bye Birdie is set in the 1950s and is a satire based on Elvis Presley’s draft into the army and the transition from one decade to the next. We follow the story of Conrad Birdie and how he shakes up the town of Sweet Apple, Ohio when he kisses one of his fans, Kim Macafee, as a symbolic kiss goodbye to all of his fans. The hip-thrusting rock star creates a frenzy in the small town, as seen through the lively dance numbers and beautiful songs. The musical also follows the story of Conrad’s manager, Albert Peterson, and his love interest, Rose Alvarez.

The upbeat numbers and bright colors of the scenery and costumes perfectly compliment the satirical representation of this time period in American history. Kim Macafee will be played by Katherine Stelma, and Rose Alvarez will be played by Andrea Garcia. These leading ladies shine on stage and motivate their fellow castmates with their talent and energy. This play has many great ensemble numbers and the cast is popping onstage. The production team also shares the cast’s excitement for the musical.

“I am absolutely ecstatic to be a part of another great show,” said Mrs Posner, Associate Director and Director of the Performing Arts Center.

Tech rehearsals begin shortly and the incorporation of lighting, sound, and costumes are exciting challenges that the cast and crew are eager to begin.

Come and see the energetic and comedic musical, Bye Bye Birdie, at the Doris M. Byrne Performing Arts Center, March 1- 3 at 7:30 pm and March 4 at 2:00 pm.

Ava Rakowski, Contributing Writer

Ava Rakowski is in the class of 2020, and is very excited to be part of The Argosy. She knew that she wanted to be in a club that involved writing,...