The Argosy

Shooters Strike Again

Gun violence remains a hot-button issue.

CALDWELL—The latest mass shooting in the United States occurred in Jacksonville, Florida on August 27 at a Madden NFL 19 video game tournament. Two people were killed, including the shooter, and 11 were hospitalized.

“As I was in the restroom, I stayed in there, and I just heard – – there were so many gunshots, at least 20 of them at the most,” witness, Ryan Aleman said to a CNN interviewer. “I’m still shocked, I can hardly talk.”

Jacksonville Mayor, Lenny Curry, calls the shooting an “ongoing situation.”

Authorities identified 24-year-old David Katz as the shooter. Katz did not know the victims personally and there is no clear motivation for the shooting.

The issue of gun violence remains a major issue throughout the United States. In 2018 there were 23 shootings where a victim was either killed or injured. As the new school year approaches, concerns for school shootings continue to plague the nation.

Most districts began to better the security in their schools to make students and families comfortable. Students at Mount Saint Dominic Academy, in Caldwell, expressed concern because they are on an open campus.

“No student should be afraid to go school as a result of gun violence,” said Lily Coyle, senior at the Mount.

Sister Fran Sullivan, Head of School, is open to all suggestions from students, staff, and any other interested parties. She is ultimately responsible for the safety of everyone in the building and plans to do everything in her power to keep them safe.

“Being an educator in the arena of gun violence is a very frightening experience. I take it as a very heavy responsibility,” said Sister Fran. “I actually have nightmares about it occasionally.”

Administrators are being proactive about improving the safety at Mount Saint Dominic Academy.

“Over the summer, Sr. Fran and I, and a few other members of the administrative team from the Mount, attended different tabletop security exercises,” said Ms. Marissa Muoio, Dean of Academics. “These were in conjunction with [Caldwell] University and also with the Caldwell Police Department.”