The Argosy

The Best Documentaries on Netflix

• Blackfish: If you want to know why everyone hates SeaWorld, this is why… it tells the story of Tilikum, a killer whale kept in captivity that has caused the deaths of several people. It looks into the cruel treatment at SeaWorld and why a species that poses no threat to humans has acted in such a threatening way.

• Food Inc. : If you have a weak stomach, you should probably steer clear of this documentary that’s known for turning people into vegetarians after watching. It portrays the disgusting meat industry in America and its effects on the environment.

• Amanda Knox: A girl accused and sentenced for the murder of her roommate still maintains that she did not commit the crime. She has been acquitted for her crime, but is it true it wasn’t her?

• The Rachel Divide: How could one woman get her whole community to believe she was black, even elected for the Spokane chapter of the NAACP, when she was white? Rachel Dolezal knows.

• Get Me Roger Stone: Insight on the man who has been one of the chief orchestrators of dirty politics in America ranging from the Nixon Watergate scandal to Trump’s presidency.

• Icarus: What was supposed to be a story about a man undergoing the doping process to better understand olympic athletes turned into one of the largest olympic scandals that banned many Russian athletes from Rio. This will have you questioning everything about sports.

• Evil Genius: A docuseries about a bank robbery gone wrong that resulted in the murder of a pizza delivery man. He was forced to go on a scavenger hunt in order to be released from a neck bomb and, unfortunately, ran out of time. You won’t see the plot twists coming.

• 13th: An intensive look into the very large problem of mass incarceration in America that stems from a long history of racial oppression. You will be shook by the end.

• Chasing Coral: Exposes the mass destruction of coral reefs around the world that could change the environment drastically. Somehow they made coral reefs dying very emotional and had you wanting to help fix the problem.

• Making a Murderer: A crazy turn of events that will have you questioning everything. Steven Avery was wrongly convicted and sent to jail for 18 years. After being exonerated and becoming the face of policy change in law, just 2 years later he is accused of murder. Did he kill Teresa Halbach when he just gained back his freedom or was he set up by the county police he sued for 36 million?

• Before the Flood: Follow Leonardo DiCaprio as he discovers more about the world-threatening issue of climate change. He speaks with many important people, such as Obama, Elon Musk, and even the Pope. This in depth look into the environmental crisis will give you chills and a scary outlook for the future.

• The Farthest: Voyager in Space: Saved the best for last… If you’re interested in the vast and undiscovered universe, then this is the documentary for you. It explains the findings of Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 as they made their way around our solar system and the possibility of life beyond our own planet.