The Argosy: "Launched Never to Anchor"

Taylor Swift Installs Facial Recognition Kiosks at Shows

When Apple first came out with Face ID, authentication using facial recognition, society was shook. But Taylor Swift’s security team takes stalkers and safety issues very seriously, and have taken facial recognition to the next level. A kiosk was installed at the entry point of her concert to face scan and recognize any potential stalkers. Privacy advocates take great concern in stalker situations and want to make it known to the public.

Source: youtube.com/taylorswift

The data of potential stalkers is sent to a control center in Nashville. The reported data is sent over, the kiosk is familiar with the information and has the ability to recognize any of her known stalkers. Approximately 117 million American adults are already in facial databases maintained by law enforcement agencies.

“Everybody who went by [the kiosk] would stop and stare at it, and the software would start working,” said Mike Downing, chief security officer of Oak View Group, an entertainment and sports facilities company for concert venues like Madison Square Garden.

While the technology may be new for security systems in the United States, this kind of facial recognition has been used for years in China.

The fear of stalkers is caused from the threats and past terrorist attacks at major events, including the terrorist attack at Ariana Grande’s Manchester concert in 2017 and Christina Grimmie’s murder after her show in 2016. Add to that the unknown photographers who are taking and posting pictures before and after the concerts.

Facial recognition and pictures of those using the kiosk are allowed to be taken because it is private property. Regardless of the intended purpose, the practice does raise questions over concert-goers’ privacy.