The Argosy: "Launched Never to Anchor"

How to Conquer Exam Stress

With midterm exams approaching at the Mount, students are experiencing one of the most stressful times of the year. As preparation for these major tests becomes more intense, stress can turn into anxiety, which often leads to a burnout after exam week. It is typical to hear complaints of stress no matter who you talk to or where you go the week preceding exams. Luckily, there are ways to cope with this constant stress and long periods of studying.

One of the many reasons for stress is procrastination. I, along with many other students, find this to be a major problem that can cause more stress before the studying process even begins. Collecting materials for your exams and talking with teachers about information on them can help make exam preparation a bit less scary.

Once you begin studying, it’s important to take breaks rather than trying to cram in loads of information in one period of time. This can include rewarding yourself for studying by watching some Netflix, using your phone, or having a snack to relax yourself. The most important thing about taking breaks from studying is to get your mind off of exams. It is important to feel refreshed when studying rather than exhausted, resulting in increased productivity.

The only thing worse than studying for exams is studying for exams and getting little to no sleep the night before. In order to function as well as possible and retain as much information you can during the day, get as much sleep as you can. Although it may seem logical to cut down on hours sleeping and increase hours studying, your brain won’t retain information well without enough sleep. Pulling an all-nighter may result in the inability to focus attention optimally and therefore you may not be able to learn efficiently. Sleep plays a major role in the consolidation of memory, which is essential for reviewing information for exams.

If you think you are losing touch with your friends or family or feeling overwhelmed or sick, its best to follow the advice above so that midterms week doesn’t take over your life. Remember not to let the expectations of others or yourself make you feel too incapable to do well on your exams. Receiving good grades is possible with good preparation and stress management!