The Argosy: "Launched Never to Anchor"

L.E.O. Program Comes to MSDA

Back to Article
Back to Article

L.E.O. Program Comes to MSDA

Greg Riccardi

Greg Riccardi

Greg Riccardi

The 2019-2020 school year marks the beginning of the L.E.O Program at Mount Saint Dominic Academy. The program, which stands for leadership, entrepreneurship, and opportunity, is designed to put students through a business simulation, teaching them real-life skills for future careers and strengthening their leadership qualities.

The first MSDA cohort consists of 16 rising juniors who will be divided into teams of four. Candidates went through an application and interview process. Students were required to submit an application explaining their interest in the program, detailing their extracurriculars, sharing their social media accounts, and answering various other questions that would commonly be asked on a job application. Furthermore, they were asked to answer a few questions that related to the foundation’s ideals: mind, body, and spirit. For the second portion of the process candidates were interviewed by two members of the foundation. This experience provided the first of many real-world interactions that highlight the L.E.O. Program.

When asked about future growth of the Leonidus Foundation, Katerina Holevas, member of the MSDA Class of 2021 and future L.E.O. Program participant added, “it started at Don Bosco first, so it was the first all boys school to have it. Especially since Leo went there, really made the biggest difference. Now that we have it and I’m here and Alexandra came here, it is growing and they are going to want to expand it even more so I think it is going to do great things.”

The Mount is very lucky to have the Vagias and Holevas families as part of their community. Leo always wanted to become a businessman and the Leonidas Foundation honors his legacy. “[The L.E.O. Program] benefits young entrepreneurs and keeps Leo’s memory alive, by commemorating his strive and love for business and having young people experience what he wanted to do through the L.E.O. Program,” said Holevas.

On April 4, the foundation held their third annual kickoff event. At the event, three floors swarmed with 1000 people there to support the Leonidas Foundation. Members of the Mount community, including fellow members of the Class of 2021, Sr. Fran Sullivan, Dr. Marissa Muoio, Ms. Kristen Zosche, and Mrs. Pauline Condon, made an appearance to support Alex Vagias ’18, Katerina Holevas ’21, and all those associated with the foundation. Those Mount community members in attendance sat on stage with Leonidas Foundation President Matthew Perricone and Vice President Alex Cucciniello, the Vagias family, and the L.E.O. Program graduating class from Don Bosco.

The ceremony started by introducing the Leonidus Foundation and its mission. Mr. Vagias stepped up to the podium and explained the timeline of the Delbarton students in the L.E.O Program. From the application process to the finishing product, the audience heard about the journey that the students took over the past two years being part. Additionally, Mr. Vagias explained that the Leondius Foundation is a “joyful sorrow.” After his speech, the Mount was introduced to the crowd as the newest school to offer the L.E.O Program and Sr. Fran and Dr. Muoio were presented with a check to help kickstart the program.

Members of the Mount community gathered at The Leonidas Foundation’s 2nd annual kickoff event.