The ‘Safer’ Alternative to Smoking

7th Vape-Related Death Creates Urgency for Lawmakers

Back to Article
Back to Article

The ‘Safer’ Alternative to Smoking

@shizz.lo @matthenryvideo

@shizz.lo @matthenryvideo

@shizz.lo @matthenryvideo

The death of a California man, 40, is the latest in a chain of vape-related deaths. In addition to California, deaths have been reported in Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Oregon, and Kansas. There have been over 380 cases of vape-related illness reported in the United States in recent weeks, with victims ranging from teenagers to middle-aged people. Although no specific cause has been identified as of now, officials have announced the outbreak is linked to electronic smoking.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention stated that there is no evidence of a common infectious cause, therefore chemical exposure is the main suspect. Symptoms consisting of coughing, shortness of breath, fatigue, and vomiting have all been reported. In order to combat this, officials recommend that people avoid e-cigarettes until a cause can be determined.

Furthermore, the government is putting $20 million towards a campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of vaping among youth.

With nearly a quarter of high school students vaping regularly, we must take decisive action to prevent a new generation from addiction and serious health risks.”

— Sen. Mitt Romney

“With nearly a quarter of high school students vaping regularly, we must take decisive action to prevent a new generation from addiction and serious health risks,” Utah Sen. Mitt Romney said.

Titled the End New Nicotine Dependencies Act, new legislation would ban e-cigarette flavors other than tobacco, educate the public on risks, and create taxes on e-cigarettes.

Most of the new legislation is aimed to combat teen vaping. The Food and Drug Administration is planning to introduce new regulations that would take place within the next thirty days. New York has already been the first state to ban flavored e-cigarettes.

Editor’s Note: Article originally published on September 23. Since time of publication, new deaths have been reported.

@truthorange

Please share our stories: