Where Do The MSDA Holiday Donations Go?

This holiday season, students at Mount Saint Dominic Academy are collecting donations for a Thanksgiving food drive and Toys for Tots.

Mount students are often asked to donate to various causes; however, they do not always know where they go. 100% of students interviewed for this story said they do not think about where the donations go.

Many of the students there have economic challenges and so when we send the food baskets we know they go to people in serious need.”

— Sister Peggy Ann Clinton

This year, for both the food drive and Toys for Tots, the donations will be going to Our Lady Help Of Christians in East Orange, New Jersey.

“Many of the students there have economic challenges and so when we send the food baskets we know they go to people in serious need,” said Sr. Peggy Ann Clinton.

Sr. Peggy Ann also added that the Mount picked this school to donate to because of a connection with Sr. Pat Hogan, whose nieces are MSDA alumni. Sr. Pat has been the principal at Our Lady Help Of Christians for about forty years, and all her work in the ministry has been with the poor. 

As for the Thanksgiving baskets, the money goes towards gift cards that are given to families to buy a turkey. Sr. Peggy Ann said it is easier to donate gift cards than dealing with frozen turkeys. 

“We do Thanksgiving drives, but we need to remember that there is food scarcity all over the U.S. despite being one of the most affluent countries in the world,” Sr. Peggy Ann said when asked for any final thoughts on the donations. 

Every year, the Mount participates in a Toys For Tots collection. This year,the wrapped toys are due December 10. The program is a way for underprivileged children who will probably not receive many gifts to feel appreciated during the holidays. The Mount community strongly encourages all students to get their toys in on time.