Anatomy and Physiology Students Participate in Emergency Simulation

In the month of December, Mrs. Nguyen’s Anatomy and Physiology classes partook in a simulated emergency situation as part of their learning about the integumentary system. It also provided them with a new perspective on the medical profession. The students even dressed the part and walked around the halls of Mount Saint Dominic Academy in scrubs.

The specific emergency scenario involved an 8-year-old female who was transported via ambulance to the emergency room after being rescued from her burning house. Each student was assigned a role as a member of the trauma team in the burn unit at a regional hospital. They were required to research their positions and create treatment plans to present during “Rounds,” or the process of reviewing a patient’s status, diagnosis, and treatment plan in a patient-doctor setting, most frequently in a hospital. Each team was composed of a variety of healthcare providers, including an ER technician who is interested in the prevention of infection, a paramedic who has lots of experience with patients going into shock, an emergency medicine physician who specializes in burns, and an ER nurse who has years of experience in helping pain management for children. The assignment tested the students’ ability to work collaboratively, their knowledge of the body, and their problem solving acumen.

Jenna Amorim ’21, a student in the class, was assigned the role of Pulmonary Physician, meaning her specialty was the treatment of smoke inhalation.

“[I was] responsible for diagnosing and treating conditions related to the respiration system,” Amorim said.

Amorim explained that the project advanced her understanding of their current unit of study and furthered her knowledge of the integumentary system. She said that the simulation was a fun and interesting approach to learning. Being a hands-on learner, Amorim added that the project was a major benefit in her classroom experience. When asked about how the project gave her a realistic outlook on working in the medical field, she explained that by taking a real world approach, it made her want to learn more about the subject.

Another student, Clare Mulvihill ’21, was assigned the role of an ER technician who was skilled in cleaning wounds in order to prevent infections.

“Doing the project made me feel like I was capable of actually pursuing a career in the medical field because of what I learned in anatomy and through research.” Mulvihill said. “Pretending that it was a real life scenario made me think that this career was a possibility for my future.”

Mrs. Nguyen explained why she believes projects like these are important for classes like Anatomy and Physiology. She said that by participating in real-life scenarios, students can practice applying their knowledge and it gives deeper meaning to what they are learning. Mrs Nguyen believes that projects like this give students a better taste of what it is like to be a healthcare practitioner.

“It breathes life into what could be an otherwise dull course,” Nyugen added. “My aim is to bring creative methods into the classroom that ultimately lead to a deeper understanding of the material and improved critical thinking skills.”

Please share our stories: