The Argosy

Join the Fight Against Plastic Water Bottles!

Reusable Water Bottles vs. Plastic Water Bottles

Most people buy plastic water bottles not knowing the effect they have on our Earth. When I ask people why they don’t just use reusable water bottles, they explain that having a plastic water bottle is just “easier.” While that may be true, if people continue to use plastic water bottles like they do now our Earth won’t be able to handle it. There are a number of reasons as to why using plastic water bottles is not only harmful to the Earth but also not effective for our lives.

if people continue to use plastic water bottles like they do now our Earth won’t be able to handle it.”

The statistics that go along with the use of plastic water bottles is astonishing. The required energy to produce plastic water bottles is enough to power 190,000 homes in the United States alone, according to the Ban the Bottle campaign. Not only could that power be used for more helpful purposes, it is cheaper to drink one’s tap water than to buy plastic water bottles for every day. The recommended eight glasses of water a day, at U.S. tap rates, equals about $.49 per year; that same amount of bottled water is about $1,400, according to Ban the Bottle campaign. Buying one $10 reusable water bottle at Target and using tap water everyday to fill it up would save Americans hundreds of dollars a year.

Not only could that power [used to produce plastic bottles] be used for more helpful purposes, it is cheaper to drink one’s tap water than to buy plastic water bottles for every day.”

One solution to this enormous plastic water bottle issue: buy a reusable water bottle. Using a reusable water bottle every day would save you hundreds of dollars a year and, more importantly, drastically help our Earth. You can purchase a 16-ounce or a 32-ounce water bottle for only $10 at most shops around the U.S. While some people may think that the water from a plastic water bottle is higher quality or better-tasting, that is not necessarily true. In the United States, major plastic water bottle producers use purified municipal water. Putting it into a plastic water bottle and selling it in a grocery store is just an illusion for us to think that the water will taste better. If you don’t think your tap water is clean to drink then buy a filtered water pitcher to easily fix the problem.

Not only can buying reusable water bottles save you money, it will help our Earth. In the U.S., an astonishing 1,500 plastic water bottles are consumed every second. Plastic bottles are made from a petroleum product that requires huge amounts of fossil fuels to both make and transport them. It is harder to recycle plastic bottles than one might think. When you recycle a plastic water bottle, it will most likely end up in either a landfill, leaching dangerous chemicals into the ground, or infiltrating our streets as litter. In the case of bottled water, the plastic-making process requires over two gallons of water for the purification process of every gallon of water. Think of all the other ways these two gallons of water could be used more efficiently for people who need it. All in all, producing plastic bottles is an industry that is killing our Earth.

So the next time you are in the supermarket about to buy a case of plastic water bottles, think again. Instead, go for the cute, fashionable, $10 water bottle that you can find almost anywhere. Not only will you feel good about your part in helping to save our Earth, you will also be helping yourself.

https://www.banthebottle.net/bottled-water-facts/