The student news site of Mount Saint Dominic Academy

The Argosy

Mount Poetry Night

There are not many times where I can say I genuinely feel excited while climbing the steps that lead to the third floor at the Mount, but at 6:30pm on December 20th, my body was alive with energy as Emma Davison and I raced up the three flights of stairs and into the Library for Poetry Night. The room had been transformed from the usually bustling Media Center into a dimly lit room with little white lights dangled from the massive bookshelves. The big wooden table to the left was covered with every type of dessert you could imagine, and poetry books were being passed around to the small group that had already gathered. I could tell it was going to be a great night.

I’ve been a member of the Poetry Club ever since it was created during my sophomore year at the Mount. Since then I’ve been active in planning and participating in the Poetry Nights that we’ve held pretty much twice a year for three years, and they’re always one of the best nights of the year. A perfectly sized group never fails to gather at 7:00pm in the library, eager to share what they’ve written or their favorite poems, and to listen to what others have brought with them. In the recent years especially, we’ve been inviting Mount alums to the December Poetry Night, because many of them are home on break already, and they never fail to share the amazing poetry they’ve written while they’ve been away on their new adventures.

There is truly no better way to get to know a group of people than by listening to poems they’ve written, or poems they love. I believe poetry is one of the realest forms of art, and also one of the bravest, because it takes a lot of courage to stand in front of a group of people and share the words and phrases that you’ve strung together at 3:00am that reflect the deepest parts of yourself. It’s the most beautiful kind of messy, and the emotions that are evoked are the rawest kinds you can ever experience. Poetry brings this world its own kind of magic, able to turn a group of kids who just go to school together into a group of kids who know they’re not alone, and who know that everyone hurts, everyone lives, and most important, everyone writes.