The Argosy

42nd Street Review

As the MSDA spring musical 42nd Street crept closer and closer, there seemed to be a united feeling of frenzy among my theater friends. I knew this feeling all too well. It had finally begun: the dreaded Tech Week—the most important week-long theater preparation consisting of long days, fake eyelashes, and LOTS of hairspray and setting powder. It was time for making last minute changes and tweaking the show.

When I finally arrived at the theater on Friday night, I could feel the excitement brewing among the audience. It was as though the actors’ exhilaration was radiating throughout the PAC, even though they were getting ready for the show backstage. Through all the chatter, I looked through the program and saw the ads, biographies, and notes that parents had written to their shining stars. Finally, the lights dimmed, the crowd hushed, and the show began. I don’t think I ever truly realized how much work goes into tap dancing or how much watching other actors tap dance would make me want to get up and join them. Every single actor on the stage was able to draw me into their story, and I think I actually gasped when Peggy fainted. The costumes, the lights, the hair, the makeup, the music, the dancing, and everything in between wrapped me up in the story, which flowed through each scene flawlessly.  

I was amazed by junior Andrea Garcia’s portrayal of Peggy Sawyer and how talented she is. A person who can act, sing, dance, or even all three at the same time is astounding to me. Other highlights included sophomore Katherine Stelma’s funny one liners and hilarious banter with Nick Browne (Oratory ‘17) during Shuffle Off To Buffalo. Another of my other favorite songs in the show was We’re In The Money, which featured amazing footwork and intense tap moves that were mesmerizing. The entire cast blew me away and exceeded my every expectation. This was one of my favorite Mount shows, and I can’t wait to see what the Mount theater department will do next!