The Argosy

The Mount’s Best Kept Secret

An Interview with Mrs. Posner

From small-town Ohio to the bright lights of Broadway to the Mount theater program, Mrs. Posner has remained humble despite her huge success. This down-to-earth woman can handle any situation thrown at her, regardless of how difficult. Even with her many accomplishments, Mrs. Posner is able to balance life, family, and work simultaneously.

Small Town Roots

Mrs. Posner spent her childhood in a small, rural community in Ohio that contained mostly farmers. She explained how her hometown compared to New Jersey: “[In New Jersey] there’s stuff to buy everywhere and strip malls everywhere and restaurants everywhere. We had only one carry out and a tiny little grocery store, a post office, that was it.” Attending events was not common in Ohio either, so Mrs. Posner would ride her bike with her siblings around town on weekends and keep busy by going into the woods or visiting the library in a neighboring town, five miles away.

The Realization of Theatre

Mrs. Posner’s time in Ohio did not end after childhood. She went on to study at Bowling Green State University where she started as a criminal justice and social work double major. While still keeping her love for theater, she helped stage manage for dance programs and theater productions. While working at a boy’s prison, Mrs. Posner became frustrated with the fact that boys who had never committed a crime were put behind bars only because they had nowhere else to go. She said, “I didn’t feel like I could really make a difference in that environment. I felt like I was gonna have to play along by the rules, which wasn’t gonna work for me.” This realization led to her change in major: stage management.

I didn’t feel like I could really make a difference in that environment. I felt like I was gonna have to play along by the rules, which wasn’t gonna work for me.”

Shining Success in the Big City

Although there was no theater in Ohio, Mrs. Posner let her love for stage management guide her. She soon ended up in New York, stage managing on Broadway. During her time in New York, Mrs. Posner worked as the manager on a seven-year project with a lighting designer where she helped design all the lighting for the Sony Building. Although she had to learn a lot about agricultural lighting, Mrs. Posner views the project as a great achievement: “There was a big learning curve. I learned a whole heck of a lot in a short amount of time, but I think it was pretty successful so I’m pretty proud of that.”

Family Versus Work

Her work did not stop her from starting a family. Mrs. Posner shared how stage managing was difficult while having a family at the same time, but she tried to make it work. “If you have a family, you’re gone all the time,” she said. “You work opposite hours of your kids when they’re in school, you work weekends, you work evenings, the day off for Broadway is Monday but stage managers don’t get it off at all.” She continued, “I chose to not stage manage all the time because I was having a family.”

I chose to not stage manage all the time because I was having a family.”

Accidentally at the Mount

Many wonder how the Mount is so lucky to have Mrs. Posner. The answer: she found her way here on accident when her daughter was attending school at the Mount. She volunteered to teach people how to use all the new sound and light equipment and run tech crew for the shows. During her daughter’s senior year, Mrs. Posner was hired as Director of the Performing Arts Center. Now, she continues to stage manage for all Mount theater productions and concerts.

Modesty Over Fame

When asked if she’d go back to Broadway, Mrs. Posner replied, “I always thought I would go back but what I didn’t understand is that you don’t have to be on Broadway to be successful because that’s sort of the pinnacle.” The idea of making it on Broadway means instant success while there are many accomplished people with good work that may never go on Broadway. Mrs. Posner herself has many achievements and at any time could return to Broadway if she wished, but she truly enjoys working at the Mount and wouldn’t change it at all. Despite her great ability and talent, she continues to be extremely modest: “This [the Mount] is a really exciting environment to be in and I absolutely love doing it and it’s more rewarding [than working on Broadway]. I wouldn’t change it. If I did it again knowingly, I would knowingly pursue this.”