The Argosy

Swim Team Season Recap

Juniors Julianna Bender, Tess Morrissey, Natalie Nasti, Dani Dabroski, and Liz Mercuris.

After placing fourth at Essex County Swimming Championships and finishing up their regular season with as 4-7, the Mount Saint Dominic Swim Team concluded their 2017-2018 season with the NJSIAA Swim Championships at Lawrenceville Day School in Lawrenceville, New Jersey. The team consisted of girls who swim for Cougar Aquatic Club, Caldwell Center Cyclones, the Greater Morristown YMCA, and Red Hawks Swim Club, as well as girls who used to swim on club teams, summer recreational swim teams, and those who only compete during the academic year for the school.

In comparison to coeducational schools, the small squad considered of two seniors, six juniors, four sophomores, and two freshmen which allowed for a total of fourteen girls, but at most only twelve hit the water at each meet due to two injured swimmers.

This season the girls were coached for the first time under Jane Sungurov and Ally Barth who were not new to the sport of swimming. Sungurov started her swim career an ocean away in Moscow, Russia at age eight when she was accepted to the prestigious Olympic Reserve boarding school, making it to Soviet Nationals. She is currently a coach at Cougar Aquatic Team. Barth began her swim career at age eight on Cougar Aquatic Team and swam for West Essex High School graduating in 2013. Although the team was small in comparison to the club team Sungurov coaches, she found it as a great opportunity in an extremely fun and exciting new environment. Her favorite moments were winning the meet against Livingston High School, 44-50 in a four lane pool and conducting fun practices at the end of the season.

The team had three other victories which were 94-75 against Glen Ridge High School, 106-48 against Verona High School in its inaugural year, and 98-66 against Montclair Kimberley Academy. The team bonded at events outside of practices and meets, including pasta parties, breakfasts, fast food runs, and the Trinity Academy Reindeer Run. The girls say goodbye to two seniors, Fiona Palumbo, who was unable to swim her during her final season due to an injury, and Skye Stripeikis, who obtained crucial points in the 500 freestyle. The girls hope to see some fresh new faces going into the 2018-2019 season, as well as win more dual meets and place at the Essex County Swimming Championships.

Delaney Smith swimming the 500 freestyle verses Montclair Kimberly Academy