The Argosy

Stressed Out Seniors

MSDA seniors deal with stress regarding college and school changes.

CALDWELL—If there is one phrase to describe the senior class of Mount Saint Dominic Academy, it is stressed out. With the departures of Mrs. Greulich and Mrs. Keating during a stressful time for the class of 2019, and some adjustments to the student handbook, the seniors have reached new stress levels regarding college application deadlines and academic classes.

“I feel like [the guidance counselors] left so suddenly and now we only have one for the whole grade and the junior class,” stated senior, Jules Seymour.

The junior and senior classes are still adjusting to new guidance counselor, Mr. Galka, who is being very helpful with student questions in relation to college, Naviance, and both the Common App and Coalition websites. 

Not only are students worrying about the college process, they are also trying to adjust to new school rules. The requirement for exemption from a midterm exam was raised from a 90 or higher to a 94 or higher.

“I get home from soccer, go straight to the fridge for food, then watch Netflix in my bed and cry,” stated Samantha Diaz, a senior at the Mount, when asked how she deals with her stress.

Teachers are concerned about the unusual behavior they have been observing. Psychology teacher, Ms. Hudd claimed that she has noticed students laughing more but thinks it is just a defense mechanism for their stress.