The Argosy: "Launched Never to Anchor"

Live Your Best Lenten Life with (Mostly) Plant-Based Meals

Lent is upon us and the struggle of coming up with what to give up or how to become a better version of yourself is real. One of the key elements of Lent is not eating meat on Fridays. For me, this has never been an issue since I am a Pescatarian. Instead of worrying about what to eat on Fridays, I focus on keeping my Lenten promises. I’m sharing my favorite daily recipes for each meal so you can stop worrying about what to eat and focus on living your best Lenten life.

The main struggle: bacon. But let’s be real, on Friday morning no one is that awake or motivated enough to make a fresh batch of bacon.”

Breakfast is really no different than any other day. The main struggle: bacon. But let’s be real, on Friday morning no one is that awake or motivated enough to make a fresh batch of bacon. Usually, my go-to breakfast is an everything bagel with cream cheese. I also recommend yogurt with some fresh strawberries and raspberries as an alternative choice. Vegan? Swap out the yogurt for some quick-cooking oats.

Cookie + Kate

When lunch comes around, a salad is the reliable choice. Some of my favorite recipes for salad (and all things vegetarian) are from Cookie + Kate. I really enjoy the Pomegranate and Pear Green Salad with Ginger Dressing. If you do not like lettuce I suggest making the Heirloom Caprese Salad. But my absolute, number one, go-to salad is the Garden-Fresh Corn Salad. Not only are all of these salads easy to make and better alternatives than some of our unhealthy lunch options, they are also perfect for no-meat days. If you’re not a salad gal then you can always default to a peanut butter sandwich. This classic is easy to make and incredibly satisfying.

What is lunch without some snacks? These are traditionally meatless which makes them easy to make during the Lenten season. My go-tos year round are Goldfish and pretzels. But when I am in the mood to eat healthier, I reach for some more nutritious add-ons and have my pretzels with hummus and carrots. 

Cooking Classy

For dinner, there are countless options sans meat. If you are in a rush, just keep it simple and order some pizza. But with this Whole Wheat Pizza Recipe (from Cookie + Kate again, obviously), you can make a tasty, homemade pizza, and fast. Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowls are another healthy alternative and they are gluten free and vegan. However, my all-time favorite dinner meal is the Grilled Lime Salmon with Avocado-Mango Salsa and Coconut Rice from Cooking Classy. This salmon dish is certain to get you in the Summer mood which is a happy mood. All of these options are relatively easy to make and serve as great alternatives to dinners that are focused on meat.

If you’ve decided to give up sweets for Lent, you can skip this section. For dessert, I always have ice cream. My favorite? Ben & Jerry’s Half Baked. But my sister is a sucker for cupcakes and while I’m not a huge fan, I do love icing them. These are great treats to reward yourself for your hard work towards becoming a better person. 

…my sister is a sucker for cupcakes and while I’m not a huge fan, I do love icing them. These are great treats to reward yourself for your hard work towards becoming a better person.”

Hopefully, by the end of Lent, you will have used these recipes so much that you continue to incorporate them into your everyday life. These healthy, non-meat alternatives give you so much energy to take on whatever the day throws at you.