The Argosy: "Launched Never to Anchor"

The Kar-trash-ians Had Another Scandal, So What?

Back to Article
Back to Article

You may not care about the Kardashians or want anything to do with them, but their most recent issue needs to be addressed. On February 19, 2019, Khloé Kardashian’s baby daddy, Tristan Thompson, and Jordyn Woods, Kylie Jenner’s best friend, were rumored to be having an affair. Many accusations were made but most, if not all, were directed towards Jordan. This is interesting because Tristan Thompson is what some would call a repeat offender—he has been caught cheating multiple times.

When Khloé and Tristan first started seeing each other, Tristan was still with his pregnant girlfriend. Then, when Khloé got pregnant and the two made things official, the couple had two public cheating scandals. And these three offenses are just the ones that have been made public. So why is the blame being placed on Jordyn? Because she was at Tristan’s house? Jordyn was at Tristan’s house because Tristan had a private party, where he invited multiple women and not Khloé, the mother of his daughter. On top of this, Jordyn recently spoke out, saying that Tristan kissed her on the lips while she was leaving, presumably without her consent. But why is this important? We must question why the public is pushing for Jordyn to take all the blame for the situation.

Recently Khloé lashed out on Twitter, saying that Jordyn broke her family apart. This whole situation shows the sexism and even underlying racism still embedded in pop culture and society. Khloé chooses to blame Jordyn, a 21-year-old black woman, for the fact that the father of her child (who has cheated before, multiple times) cheated on her. Rather than blaming the man for his actions, society has pitted two women against each other. Most of the news about the situation completely ignores that there were two people involved, relying on phrases like “Jordyn’s actions,” and asking “How could Jordyn do this?” “Why would she betray the family?”

After Jordyn’s Red Table Talk with Jada Smith, where she took the blame for the whole situation and said that she understands that she was in the wrong, many celebrities decided to comment on the situation. Specifically Jeffree Star, who also lives in Calabasas. He claimed that Jordyn and Tristan have been hooking up for months and everyone in Calabasas knew about it. This is unsettling for many reasons. The first of which is that, in her talk with Jada Smith, Jordyn took full responsibility. Why would she lie about the situation if she was still going to accept the blame and cut ties to the Kardashian family? The second reason that Jeffree Star’s input is strange is that Star has had many racism scandals before, one of which he referred to a woman using the n-word.

These things are important because they show the struggle of women, especially women of color, in Hollywood. Pitting women against each other, and trying to pit the whole world against one black woman for the actions of a man, shows that society is still far from perfect in terms of sexism and racism. So, you don’t have to care about the Kardashians, but you should care about what is happening to Jordyn Woods and what it means for women, as it represents a larger societal issue.