Every Freshman Wants To Know But Is Too Scared To Ask

Change comes with trepidation, nerves, and an overwhelming sense of too much too fast. This feeling can accompany a new job, a new town, a new friend, and, of course, the start of high school. This milestone especially is a whirlwind of big changes, adjustments, and confusing feelings. There is much uncertainty in the air, the fear-driven clinging to familiarity, and the longing to find your niche, the place where you fit. While freshman year has the distinct air of “I have no idea what I’m doing” surrounding it, it is also filled with a lot of new discoveries, new friendships, newfound passions. Because of this whirlwind of emotions and experiences, things get left behind. Doors are left shut, opportunities overlooked, and questions left unanswered.  To discover these lingering questions of the past, Mount students were asked to recount their freshman experience. 

A variety of answers were received,  including regrets about missed opportunities and leaps not taken. Senior Natalia Ferruggia commented on her experience:“There is one big thing, out of all the stuff I did freshman year at the Mount that I regret not doing, and that’s the Spring Musical!” She reflected on where she is now compared to freshman year, and what she wishes she had done differently. “Now I’m, like, so into theatre here at the Mount and I just wish I had that fourth show to say that I did a Mount show all four years.”  In her case, she found her calling later in her high school career, thoughts of what could have been surrounding parts of her freshman year. One memorable response came from junior Morgan Brown and her misgivings over shoe choices, saying, “Well, I wish I could have known that I wouldn’t have to wear these clogs and could have worn Sperry’s because those are definitely more stylish than these things” (Morgan Brown’ 23). For Morgan, her high school regrets include her attire, and I can’t say I blame her. They are really ugly.

One of the most heartwarming statements came from Junior Ashlyn Brooks, who commented on her freshman year misconceptions. “I wish I knew that people actually had my back, like my teachers wanted to help me, rather than wanted to see me fail.[…] They’re not out to get me.” She continued,  sharing some advice, “It’s okay to eat lunch alone, sometimes, that’s a good thing, productive, get things done. And… it’s okay to ask for help. It’s okay to not have it all figured out all the time, and it’s okay to not be okay.”

I think that we all need to learn this lesson of “it’s okay to not be okay.” Freshman year is so scary and new and nerve-wracking and stressful, it’s easy to feel isolated and alone. To any freshman reading this right now, you should know that you are not alone. Everybody is going through and has gone through the same things you are feeling. It’s normal. Don’t get too caught up in worrying about having it all together or, as Ashlyn put it, “all figured out.” That will come with time and experience. Most people, when asked, “What did you want to know freshman year, but were too scared to ask?” responded with “I don’t know.” No one has everything figured out; you are not falling behind. You are not alone. 

Please share our stories: